Around the Lakes Profiles the Kelly's
Ford Motor Co. Salutes Tom and Kathy Kelly
Beth Thomas: Our Project Director
Meet Some Of Our Dreamers - Middle School
The UGA Partnership
January 2010 Newsletter
Lake Life Magazine, Fall 2011
Atlanta Journal April 2012
May 12th Graduation Celebration
Lake Oconee Living Spring 2012
Finding the Right College
Meet Some Of Our Deamers - High School
A Salute From Greene County Schools
A Celebration of Dreamers
Inside the Gates September 2014
Realizing a Dream: 2 Georgia Southern
Alumni - 2016
Three Georgia College Recent Alumni Dared
to Dream Big - 2016
Dreamer Graduations: Lake Oconee News -
Atlanta Journal Feature - May 2016
Picture Worth A Thousand Words
December 2016 Dreamer Graduates
May 2017 Dreamer Graduates
SUMMER 2016 to DECEMBER 2017
Started in August 2000 as the 1st rural chapter of the National
"I Have a Dream"® Foundation (founded by Mr. Eugene Lang in New York City in 1981).
Drive a comprehensive program that will help one group of 54 Greene County School children (first grade class of August 2000) to become productive citizens by providing a long-term educational support program (16 to 17 years) with an assured opportunity for further education beyond high school (e.g., college or vocational school) through tuition assistance. Currently there are 42 Dreamers still in the program.
Note: There are still Dreamers pursuing college degrees (Associate and Bachelor degrees).
We address the WHOLE CHILD
- Academics (College Readiness and Career Opportunities)
- Character (Honesty, Respect, Responsibility)
- Life Skills (Manners, Speaking, Listening, Etiquette, Healthy Choices)
- Community Service / Giving Back
- Cultural Expression (Art, Music, Theater)
- Dreams / Aspirations
That all of the Dreamers will become productive citizens who feel good about themselves, pursue a wide variety of careers and interests, and become leaders in our community, our state, and our country.
- St. Augustine Medal - April, 2004
- "60 Minutes" Profile - May, 2004
- People Magazine - November, 2004
- Time Magazine - December, 2004
- Villanova University Medal - June, 2005
- Service Above Self Rotary Award - June, 2007
- Sheriff's Service Award, State of Georgia - July, 2009
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Award - January, 2011
- Atlanta Journal Feature - April, 2012
- CBS National Evening News - May, 2012
- University of Georgia Community Impact Award - January, 2013
- Atlanta Journal Feature - May 2016
- Previously identified, obtained, managed and retained 4 million dollars in federal grants spread over 10 years, to serve more than 600 non dreamer students
- Financial quiet assistance for a limited number of families with special needs
- The Dreamer students have contributed thousands of community service hours
PHASE 1 RESULTS (1ST GRADE THRU 12TH GRADE)
- Significant growth in self-confidence, life skills, good character traits and their ability to dream big
- 100% graduated from high school on time (4 years)
- Many were the first in their family to go to college
- 90% entered college (4 year, 2 year or technical) and others started jobs or are considering military careers.
- 23 earned HOPE academic scholarships from the state of Georgia (3.0 GPA in core subjects)
- Our overarching goal has always been the successful completion of the Dreamers' post-secondary educations. Toward that end, Beth Thomas agreed to stay on to provide ongoing, hands-on support and guidance to the Dreamers and their parents. The Kelly's also remain heavily involved as these wonderful ladies and young men complete their journeys.
- Thru May 2016, the Dreamers have earned ten bachelor's degrees and fourteen associate or technical degrees.
- By December 2017, we are projecting fourteen more bachelor's degrees (including seven who have already earned associate degrees) and at least two additional associate degrees.
- Financial support for college costs assistance (tuition plus room and board)
|ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE
|FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT